When in Italy Researchers must have a health care insurance that covers them in case of sickness or accident.
At the Health District 4 (via Giovanni Sai, 7) of the Trieste Integrated University Health Service (A.S.U.I.Ts) operates the Punto Informativo stranieri (Information desk for international citizens) which is managed by a team of cultural mediators belonging to Associazione Interethnos (Interethnos Association).
Parco di San Giovanni – St. John’s Park
1st floor - room 141
34128 Trieste (TS)
from Monday to Wednesday
10:30 - 13:00 a.m.
11:00 - 13:00 a.m.
Researchers can find operators who speak English, Polish, Albanian, Serbian, and Croat.
Health care options are:
a) Registration at the Italian Health System - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN).
The Italian SSN guarantees medical treatment in public health facilities when it is urgent or necessary. A fee or co-payment may be charged.
Non-EU and EU citizens are entitled to register for the Italian SSN system if they stay more than 90 days in Friuli-Venezia Giulia and they are permanent residents (with a residence permit or with domicile, for students only) in the regional territory.
The registration will allow also the EHIC for temporary health care in another EU country for tourism purposes.
Non-EU citizens attending a study programme in Friuli-Venezia Giulia for less than 90 days can register for the SSN.
The registration may be made free of charge (iscrizione obbligatoria) or by paying an annual fee (iscrizione volontaria) and it depends on the economic and work contract conditions.
- Non-EU citizens with a valid residence permit for study (or with declaration of presence certificate for period shorter than 90 days) are entitled to register by paying € 149.77 per calendar year (January 1st – December 31st).
- EU citizens students regularly enrolled with an acknowledged institution located in the region (without either EHIC or EU Forms), are entitled to register by paying € 149.77 per calendar year (January 1st – December 31).
- EU and Non-EU citizens (with a valid residence permit) holding an Italian work contract where IRPEF tax is paid, are entitled to register with SSN free of charge. The registration has the same duration of the permit.
- EU and Non-EU citizens (with a valid residence permit, except the permit for study) entitled of a research grant/assegno di ricerca or work contract, etc…, where IRPEF tax is NOT paid, are entitled to register for SSN per calendar year, by paying an annual amount.
The cost is calculated by considering 7.5% of the yearly income (accrued in Italy and abroad in the previous year) with an income up to € 20.658, 28; plus 4% with an income higher than € 20.658,28 and up to € 51.645,69. The minimun contribution fee is € 387, 34 while the maximum is € 2.788,86. N.B. To make this type of registration (iscrizione volontaria) you must be resident (permanent registration - APR) in Friuli Venezia Giulia region.
You may register at any Health District and bring with you the following papers (make a copy first):
- Scheda di iscrizione volontaria al Sistema sanitario nazionale (Form for voluntary registration with the SSN) filled in and signed;
- Residence permit or the receipt issued by the Post office;
- Passport and visa;
- Self-declaration of the current local address (the same address that you have written in your residence permit) or residence certificate;
- Tax code (Codice Fiscale);
- Original copy of the payment receipt of € 149.77 (only for citizens holding a residence permit for study)
The amount based on the 7.5% of the yearly income (accrued in Italy and abroad) with an income up to € 20.658,28; plus 4% with an income higher than € 20.658,28 and up to € 51.645,69;
- Self-declaration of any other source of income except for grants and fellowship;
- Letter or statement of the study programme (ONLY for Non-EU holders of residence permit for study).
For further information, please contact Welcome Office FVG.
b) European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - TEAM card
The card gives access to health care during a temporary stay (less than 90 days). Also EU, EEA or Swiss citizens are covered for emergencies and medical care. A contribution is required for prescriptions, medical examinations, oral and dental care.
For longer stay, researchers are entitled to use the EHIC unless they have not changed their permanent residence in Italy.
Researchers will benefit from the Italian SSN services without being registered with. You need only to show always your EHIC when visiting doctors (GP or pediatrician) or hospitals of SSN.
c) Other EU forms - Form S1/E106, S1/E109 or SED S072
These forms give access to health benefits in a country different from that in which the researchers are insured. Forms are issued by the National Health Authority or by the social security provider before leaving.
Before registering the holders of these forms have to register prior at the Ufficio Anagrafe (Anagrafe of citizens temporarily present or permanent resident).
Registration is made at the Health District and allows to choose a general practitioner or a pediatrician. The following documents are necessary:
- Passport or valid ID;
- Tax Code (Codice Fiscale);
- Temporary registration receipt of the Anagrafe or Certificate of permanent residence (or the request submitted to the Anagrafe office);
- Letter or Statement of the study programme (if they attend a study programme);
- Form S1 (ex E106 and E109) or SED S072.
The Health card (tessera sanitaria) will be issued (only for Form E109) and no other forms will be issued.
d) Private Insurance
Private health insurance must meet certain eligibility requirements to be accepted in Italy.
For more information on Health Services, see: http://www.welcomeoffice.fvg.it/practical-info/health/
Freephone number for information on health services: 800 991170